Thursday, September 27, 2012

...And AWAY We GO!

It seems that every LDS woman alive has an emergency preparedness blog. What can I say? It's what we do.

I'm working here to motivate myself and get my act together. Somehow, this blog-accountability thing works for me. It helps me organize my thoughts and motivates me knowing that maybe somebody's reading along and working alongside me.

I've been editing an emergency preparedness book, and it keeps me feeling guilty on a regular basis. In other words, it's a great blessing to my life.

Let me give you a little bit of recent history about me and emergency preparedness.

First of all, I'm married to a man who doesn't believe in it. Well, he believes, he just doesn't feel motivated in that way, so pretty much, I'm on my own in this.

It's overwhelming to begin with but add that to the mix, and it's well...DAUNTING!

I, until about six months ago, put money aside every month for emergency preparedness. I would set $100-200 set aside in the budget and go across town (about 30 minutes drive) to the dry pack cannery to purchase some of the things our family needed for our food storage.

Within this six months, though, we've had to tighten our belts to the point of that money (yes, even that high priority money) is being sucked away into other portions of the budget. SHAME on me! I know that I need to claim it back, but I'm just not sure how at this point.

I am a firm believer in faith being rewarded, so my plan here is to move forward with faith.

Here are my exercises:

  1. Clear space - I need to streamline my house and maintain it.
  2. Create a plan - I need to get the big picture of what I'm undertaking.
  3. Lay out the steps to accomplish the plan - I need baby steps, so I don't feel so overwhelmed.
  4. Work the plan - I will need to motivate myself and just plain get 'er done.

I will admit that I'm not a pro at this, but I know there are many out there who are. I will link to those individuals as well.

I look forward to the windows of heaven being opened as I take the steps it takes to follow this counsel. I will also share those things here. I hope they will encourage many others to prepare for what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Share it....