Friday, September 28, 2012

Like a Squirrel...or Maybe a Mouse

Got back from the grocery store. I rocked it!

I have two crockpots and have one chicken in each with one cup of water. When they're done cooking, I cook them until their joints are loose and meat's falling off the bones, I'll let them cool for a bit, take the meat off the bones and put them in freezer bags to use for later.

I also now have five and a half pounds of shredded cheese in the freezer. I bought one 2 lb. block for $2.99 at the store that had the deal and then went and got the same deal at Walmart. I already had cheese in my fridge, so this will be great for later. Also on sale, for $1.25 were 8 oz. packages of Tillamook shredded cheese, so those are in the freezer too.

I'm learning that one of the side-effects of having children, other than never having a clean house for more than about ten minutes, is that your food storage is gone in no time flat. I'm learning that I have to be tricky and maybe even a little bit sneaky about where I put things.

If I didn't shred and freeze that cheese, it would be gone by the middle of next week--all of it. Now that it's safely in the freezer, I think we may be just a bit surer that it will last just a bit longer. I've gotten so I put lunchmeat and yogurts in the lowest drawer in the garage fridge to keep them for another day. I put one package in the kitchen fridge and one in the garage. That way, when the kitchen supply is out, I can refill it. So far, so good. I mean, nobody wants to go out to the garage to get something to snack on at this point.

We have two cases of 24 bottles of water on the shelf that I cleared off yesterday.

I haven't cleaned the garage yet today, but I didn't straighten it a bit as I put groceries away, so that should count, right? I guess if we're going to consider that the frog I must eat today, then I only nibbled on its leg. Once I get my older kids home, I'll go to town on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Share it....