Saturday, October 13, 2012

Should I, or Should I Not?

I went to see my sister-in-law yesterday to check out the Shelf Reliance program. It was fascinating! My sister-in-law used the products to make us chicken noodle soup and chicken salad sandwiches. They were both SO good.

Looking at the products, I was so impressed--cheese, eggs, two kinds of milk--one for cooking, one for drinking, and even dehydrated yogurt. Really?! I have to admit I'm not very well-versed in dehydrated food, but this was amazing to me. It opens a whole new reality to food storage!

I went ahead and signed up. These are many of the things I know our family will lack in food storage. She told me that anything you can buy at the dry pack is better to get there because it's so much cheaper, so I'll keep buying my milk through them as well as rice, onions, flour, sugar, etc. I like the fact that when I buy these items from the dry pack, they'll last for 30 years. That's one of the big sales points for me with Shelf Reliance too. Their items don't last as long, but after they've been open, most will last a year to 18 months. I mean, if I'm going to buy food for storage, I want it to be able to last for awhile.

I went ahead and signed up for the program. By late afternoon, I received an email telling me that I was in their computer system, so I went and checked it out. Wow! I was so impressed with the site. The one thing I wasn't impressed with, though, was the prices. YIKES!

I have to keep reminding myself that in a time of being without, without these items, we really would be without, so is it worth is to me? Yes. When I think of how much easier it will be to cook with sour cream and cheese and be able to keep my family happy in the long run, yes.

I used to watch "The Biggest Loser" on Netflix. I only really watched when I was folding laundry or doing dishes, but one day I went to turn it on and found that it was no longer stream-able--you now have to order the discs. BUMMER! But, last night, while folding laundry, I found that "Extreme Couponing" is now an option. Watch out!

I used to extreme coupon--to a degree. I did the stock up items but bought normal food for my family too. I was always amazed at how much I saved. Well, I think I'm going to start heading that way again. I was astounded at how much these people save weekly and how small their grocery budgets are. They take a lot of time on coupling, but maybe, at this point, it's worth it. I know it will get me to the point of feeling secure about what I have stored for my family if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Share it....